Monday, January 11, 2010

Two Wines and a Goat Cheese

Today I had the chance to retry some wines I haven't had in a while. I was visiting with my parents for the afternoon and had previously recommended they try the Fall Creek Muscat Canelli. My mom wasn't a fan, so I tried it again and I must say it did not taste how I remembered!

It was still good, but I had rated it in my top wines of 2009! I find it very interesting that my perception of the wine changed so much from when I first tried it. Since neither one of us liked it that much and it had been open for a few days, we decided to open a Schmitt Sohne Auslese Riesling, which was previously my mom's favorite wine.

We noticed right away that this wine STINKS! We decided it smelled like new shoes, plastic, and pool water. Don't let this fool you though, it tastes pretty good! We had to let it open up a bit though, at first it was a little sour and alcoholic tasting, which is not good for a wine thats 9%! After it sat out and warmed up a bit, it became very fruity and a lot creamier. The smell still lingered a bit :/.

To go with the wines, I brought some honey goat cheese.

The cheese was amazing as always and with the Auslese it turned out to be a really great pairing!

A good day for wine and cheese overall!

No comments:

Post a Comment