Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I like bad wine

Yes, I really like bad wine. I don’t like to buy a bottle of it, or even drink a whole glass, but I DO like to taste wines I don’t like. For one thing, I think its just fascinating how many ways there are for wine to taste. There are almost countless flavors, and throw in all the smells and its just endless. Sometimes I taste wine and think “whoa yuck… but what IS that taste… is that robitussin? Lentil stew? Grass?” Secondly, the wines I don’t like make me appreciate the wines I do like even more. How will I know what “good” tastes like unless I know what it shouldn’t taste like? And finally, I feel like it helps me develop my overall tastes. Very often, I try wines I’m almost sure I wont like (sauvignon blanc for example), because I’m hoping to be surprised. I love love love to be surprised by wines, and I’m looking for that wow factor. Probably 90% of moscatos and Rieslings taste good to me, so it’s not that exciting to find one I like. However, I do NOT like about 90% of chardonnays I try, so finding one of those I like is amazing.

So that is one reason why I go to all these wine tastings around town, and especially love wine flights. I like to try everything – good, bad, expensive, or cheap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment