Sunday, May 30, 2010

Austin Music and Wine Festival



Yay its time for the annual Austin (Music and) Wine Festival and I was so excited! For $30 you gained entrance into the festival, a commemorative wine glass, and 10 1 oz samples of wine. Last year was very interesting including massive thunderstorms, delicious cheese, lots of wine, and collecting about 5 discarded glasses. This year it rained AGAIN, but not enough to ruin the day. I went with 2 people and we all decided to share tastes to maximize our experience, so I ended up having close to 30 wine tastes. I kept notes and this is what I tasted:

Becker –
Rousanne, Syrah, and Merlot – none too memorable, the Rousanne was the only one I hadn't tasted before and it wasn't very good.

Landon –
Yellow Rose and a Cab/Merlot/Cab Franc blend – both bad :(

Mandola –
Moscato, Dolcetto, Canto Felice – all these were really weird and the ones that were supposed to be sweet were actually sour, which I didn't like!

Spicewood –
Semillion – bad

Flat Creek –
Pinot Grigio – good! This was the first decent one of the day.

Woodrose
Wood Rose was very good – it was a rose that wasn’t too sweet
Tempranillo and Merlot were just alright, I was a little disappointed because this is one of my favorite wineries.

Haak –
White Port – BEST wine there! Very deliciously sweet without being overly so, high alcohol content but doesn’t taste that way.
Blanc du Bois - meh

Brennan - 
Viognier - bad

Llano - 
Signature Melange - meh, the guy told me it was like a pinot noir, which I TOTALLY did not get. 

Retreat Hill - 
Riesling and XOXO - both just ok

Cork This - 
Green Apple Riesling - not as crazy as I'd expect, but not very good - did taste like an apple though.

Perissos-
Hammet Cab, Newsom Cab - I couldn't tell the difference between the two, but this was near the end of all the tasting. 
Viognier - ok

Dry Comal Creek -
Sangria - This was AMAZING!
Random White - not sure what this was, but it was pretty good! Should have found out.

Pillar Bluff-
Kitty (Orange Moscato) - Delicious! I love orange moscatos

Stone House - 
Scheming Beagle Port - Fairly good, but way too alcoholic tasting for a port

Driftwood - 
Orange Muscat - I was out of tasting tickets but used a dollar because I had to try this last wine and Im glad I did, it was fantastic!

I ended up walking out of there with the Haak white port because it was fantastic and one of my favorite things at the festival this year AND last! I have looked all over for it since, and never found it!

No comments:

Post a Comment