Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Wines and Cheeses

My boyfriend's family is hosting a Christmas party and needed some wine and cheese, so I was sent out to create (another) cheese plate and pick out a few bottles of wine for the event. Again, I tried to vary cheeses that were pretty simple and easy with more challenging and interesting ones.

Because the aged gouda went over so well at the work party, I decided to get some more for Christmas. I also chose a manchego again since it was popular as well. I saw a mushroom brie that I actually thought was a bad idea but decided to get it as well as a swiss with herbs on the rind which I tried before and was great. For wines, I wanted a red and a white that most people would like but something a little less ordinary than chardonnay and cabernet. One of my favorite whites is the Crios Torrontes, so decided on that along with the Crios Malbec. For 14 people, I spent about $25 on cheese and $25 on wine.

The malbec was a big hit! It sounds like a lot of people had a glass of it with lunch, but the torrontes was not as popular. Maybe people just didnt really want a second glass after lunch? Also, the mushroom brie was the most popular! Really?

No comments:

Post a Comment