Sunday, June 7, 2009

Fall Creek Chenin Blanc



There hasn't been too much wine in my life the past week or so due to some crazy circumstances but everything seems to have smoothed itself out for the moment. Lots of work and spending more time with people in my life!

Tonight I decided to try the Fall Creek Chenin Blanc. I originally tried this wine at the Specs Texas tasting and it really was one of my favorite ones there - what's even better is that its only around $5. I asked the Fall Creek guy why this wine was so inexpensive and he basically said its because its cheap to grow, and the grape is not as well known! About the past year or so I have been very interested in finding really great affordable wines that taste like a million bucks. This is for a few reasons - 1. Im kinda poor right now being back in school 2. I like to find a bargain. Its really amazing how the right $6 wine can taste as good as a $20 bottle and its one of my goals to find a nice array of every day wines under $8 I can keep on hand and open at any time.

Anyway, back to the wine. This wine actually sold out at the tasting and I had to go back a few days later to pick it up. I have only had a few other chenin blancs and so I dont yet have a handle on what they taste like as a whole. This one, as I said is very good. It has just the right amount of sweetness and fruit, and a soft finish. Unlike a lot of other fruity wines, it does not have a bite on the finish. Id say it isnt too complex - just very drinkable with pear, apple, and grapefruit notes. The texture is also very nice - smooth and almost silky! I loved this wine, and would definitely buy it again as it is wonderful by itself, and I imagine it would go well with many different foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment