Friday, June 12, 2009

Andes Peak Malbec and Petit Basque

I've been very interested in wines from South American lately, especially from Argentina and Chile, so I was intrigued to try this recommended Malbec from Argentina. A few months ago I was at Whole Foods and they had a tasting of about 10 wines all from Argentina and at least half were Malbecs ranging in varying degrees of deliciousness. I didn't end up buying any, but the next time I was at Specs I asked for a recommendation for a good Malbec to start out with and this was the pick!

Maybe I had high hopes, as this was one of the most popular Malbecs sold, but I found I was a bit disappointed upon trying it. I like my red wines bold, but this one tasted too alcoholic to me. It was also neither fruity or spicy... in fact it didnt taste like too much. It had a bold finish, and perhaps tasted a bit on the tart side. It wasnt BAD, it just didnt really have a lot of characteristics to write about and wasnt too interesting, but it did taste good. I think I would not buy it again, but am still interested in trying other malbecs.

Petit Basque
To go with the wine, we finished up the petit basque from a few weeks ago (yes, it was still fine)! Its very interesting to taste cheeses right when you get them and then a few days or weeks later, as they definitely change. This time when I tasted it, I really took note of how sweet it was. It tasted almost like a white fudge, or macadamia nut! It was still very creamy and almost melted in my mouth. SOOO good, I would definitely buy this cheese again, even though its $27/lb!

No comments:

Post a Comment