Sunday, June 21, 2009

La Vieille Ferme


First of all, today I had an AMAZING day at Schlitterbahn! After getting home really late I was about to go to bed but wanted to have a celebratory small drink and I was excited to try a new wine I had bought recently. It was La Vieille Ferme, which is a dry rose wine. About 6 months ago I had a dry rose in a restaurant and loved it. Up until then, I had really only had pink wine as in white zinfandel, which is super fruity, super sweet, and not too interesting. So to me the dry rose was almost a paradox - a fruity pink wine that is not sweet? It was so delicious that I have been looking for another one to try at home, and hoped that this one would be it.

WRONG! This wine is really bad, and I feel bad for saying that, but I really did not like it. I got it at random and the back of the bottle promised me "intensely fruity" and from "one of the best vineyards in the Rhone Valley". Its actually a mix of cinsault (I dont know what that is), grenache, and syrah (both of which I like). Anyway, it smelled good at least. It smelled fruity - mostly like strawberries and raspberries which is pretty typical. But oh the taste! It tasted like watered down red jello - raspberry, cherry, who knows. It really almost tasted like nothing at all, until the finish. The finish was harsh! With no fruit, spice, or tannins, a harsh finish is the last thing you want. Basically it tasted like alcoholic water with a splash of fruit. Needless to say I was disappointed but don't worry - Im already formulating a way to salvage this into a sangria!

UPDATE: I tried this wine again the next day and it was a bit better. It was a little fruitier and the finish was not as harsh, but I still did not like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment