Saturday, May 30, 2009

Wrongo Dongo and Borekaas


Saturdays are usually a good wine tasting day, so I decided to check out Grapevine Market's wine tasting for the first time. I had never been to one before and was interested to see how it would compare to the Specs tastings. Apparently they have tastings every Friday and Saturday which is GREAT news! When I went there were 4 wines, 3 of which were really good but not great. I tried the Estancia Pinot Grigio, an Argentinian blend, and a Francis Copolla red wine that I liked, however didn't decide to get any of them.

Instead, I decided to open a bottle of wine I've had once before and really liked - the Wrongo Dongo. This is a monastrell wine from the Jumilla region of Spain. I bought this wine at Specs for $6 and I must say its the best wine for that price that I've tasted. It is a bit harsh and has an overwhelming smell upon first opening, but softens as it sits. On the nose i detected almost a root beer smell and lots of fruit. It tastes great - the first thing I notice is the cherries, with a spicy medium finish. This wine is easy to drink, yet has some complexity to it and is well worth the $6 I paid. I would keep this wine around for every day drinking.

To go along with the wine, I finished off the Borekaas from a few nights ago. I could really focus on the cheese this time, as it was the only one. When I first brought it out and cut it up, the cheese tasted a little blander than I remembered. However, after 15 - 20 minutes it really started to taste amazing - much better at room temperature! It became very creamy and a little bit pungent - almost like a white cheddar. The wine and cheese went pretty well together, although I think almost all wine and cheese go relatively well together :)

No comments:

Post a Comment