Monday, August 30, 2010

Deerfield Red Rex

Today is a very good day, and one for celebration! We have had a lot of stress in our lives lately, and it all came to a close today. To celebrate, we thought we would open one of our nicer bottles of wine, and the Deerfield Red Rex is a nicer one we have had for a few years now. It is a red blend of cabernet, merlot, syrah, and a few other things. If you remember, I actually visited this winery when I went to Sonoma, and thought it was a bit intense. The wines were very alcoholic and strong, and this Red Rex was no exception - it was 14.6% alcohol for starters!

It definitely had an odd, indescribable quality about it as well that I could definitely tell was a Deerfield wine. They all have a very raw spice flavor about them (clove? cedar?), which makes them unique in my opinion. Unfortunately, it's not necessarily a GOOD taste, and while Stephen loved it, I thought it was a bit too much for me. I ran it through the aerator a few times, and the wine itself was not bad at all, just not my personal favorite. I looked it up at Specs online, and it runs about $25, and I probably wouldn't pay that much to have it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment