Friday, March 18, 2011

Battle of the Blancs

So I decided to do a side by side tasting and open 2 bottles of sauvignon blancs at the same time and compare them. We decided on 2 random bottles we had, a Kato New Zealand one and a Cameron Hughes wine from the Russian River Valley. Stephen poured us each a small glass of both and we tasted them. The interesting part is that I didn't know which glass was which. Here were my thoughts:










Wine #1:
  • pale yellow
  • bad smell
  • watery flavor, not very good on first taste
  • more of an alcoholic burn
  • more drinkable though, like a watered down lemonade
  • could possibly be confused with a pinot grigio
  • after drinking it a bit, I prefer this one since it's simpler
Wine #2:
  • dark, bright yellow
  • green pepper smell
  • very strong taste - maybe too strong with food
  • very distinct sauvignon blanc
  • smells like a pickle, vinegary

Wine #1 turned out to be the Cameron Hughes wine, and Wine # 2 was the Kato. I definitely liked #2 a lot better, which just goes to show that not all Cameron Hughes wines are terrific. I must say though, that we both tried these wine a day or two later and I thought the CH one was better than it was on the first day. 







No comments:

Post a Comment