Monday, July 6, 2009

Santa Cristina Sangiovese


I was reading an article in the Wall Street Journal about chilled red wines, which is something I've never given much thought before. In my mind, whites are cold and reds are room temperature. Apparently, reds can be refreshing when chilled as well! The article recommended a few of the best chilled reds the authors found, and I was thrilled when I was surprised with 2 of them!

The one I decided to try first was the Santa Cristina Sangiovese from Italy. In the article this wine was described as having a black cherry flavor, which I definitely found for myself as well. It was a bit bold, much more so than I expected it to be. I definitely had some prejudices going into this wine, as most reds are warm, and if they are chilled its because they are sweet. I thought this wine was good but not great, as it had a nice balance of fruit yet had a definite tannic finish. It also smelled very much like alcohol.

I was intrigued by the fact that it was chilled, yet I didn't feel like this aspect added anything to the wine. Maybe chilled reds are just still new to me, or I just don't like them, but I feel like this wine would be better at room temperature. I will have to see what I think after trying the other wine we have, which was a little more expensive and supposedly goes great with food.

No comments:

Post a Comment